Pololu 5V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U1V10F5
This tiny (0.35″×0.45″) U1V10F5 switching step-up (or boost) voltage regulator efficiently generates 5 V from input voltages as low as 0.5 V. Unlike most boost regulators, the U1V10F5 automatically switches to a linear down-regulation mode when the input voltage exceeds the output. The pins have a 0.1″ spacing, making this board compatible with standard solderless breadboards and perfboards.
This 5 V boost (step-up) voltage regulator generates higher output voltages from input voltages as low as 0.5 V, and it also automatically switches to a linear down-regulation mode when the input voltage exceeds the output. This makes it great for powering 5 V electronics projects from 1 to 3 NiMH, NiCd, or alkaline cells or from a single lithium-ion cell.
When boosting, this module acts as a switching regulator (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters) and has a typical efficiency between 70% to 90%. The available output current is a function of the input voltage, output voltage, and efficiency (see Typical Efficiency and Output Current section below), but the input current can typically be as high as 1.2 A. This regulator is also available with a fixed 3.3 V output, and very similar 3.3V, 5V, and adjustable-output versions are available with a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load.
The regulator’s thermal shutdown engages at around 140°C and helps prevent damage from overheating, but it does not have short-circuit or reverse-voltage protection.
- Input voltage: 0.5 V to 5.5 V
- Fixed 5 V output with 4% accuracy
- Automatic linear down-regulation when the input voltage is greater than the output voltage
- 1.2 A switch allows for input currents up to 1.2 A
- Good efficiency at light load: <1 ma="" typical="" no-load="" quiescent="" current="" though="" it="" can="" exceed="" 1="" for="" very="" low="" input="" voltages="" li="">
- Integrated over-temperature shutoff
- Small size: 0.35″ × 0.45″; × 0.1″ (9 × 11.5 × 2.5 mm)
|Size:||0.35″ × 0.45″ × 0.1″1|
|Minimum operating voltage:||0.5 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||5.5 V|
|Maximum input current:||1.2 A2|
|Output voltage:||5 V|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||N|
|Maximum quiescent current:||1 mA3|
- 1 - Without included optional headers.
- 2 - Regulator may overheat at lower input currents when VIN is much lower than VOUT. Available output current is a function of VIN, VOUT, and the regulator efficiency.
- 3 - The highest quiescent currents occur at very low input voltages; for most of the input voltage range, the quiescent current is well below 1 mA.