Adafruit FONA 808 - Mini Cellular GSM + GPS Breakout
Cellular + GPS tracking, all in one? Oh yes! Introducing Adafruit FONA 808 MiniGSM + GPS, an all-in-one cellular phone module with that lets you add location-tracking, voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an adorable little package.
This module measures only 1.75"x1.6" but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a powerful GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM808) with integrated GPS. This module can do just about everything.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Fully-integrated GPS (MT3337 chipset with -165 dBm tracking sensitivity) that can be controlled and query over the same serial port
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset or an external 32Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Here's the GPS specifications:
- 22 tracking / 66 acquisition channels
- GPS L1 C/A code
- Sensitivity: Tracking: -165 dBm, Cold starts : -147 dBm
- Time-To-First-Fix: Cold starts: 32s (typ.), Hot starts: 1s (typ.), Warm starts: 5s (typ.)
- Accuracy: approx 2.5 meters
Sounds delicious, right? So we plated this fine module onto a little breakout with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 32Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- uFL connections for external antennas
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required accessories to make FONA work. These are not included!
- SIM Card! A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the cellular network.
- Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger! This 500mAh battery, or this 1200mAh will work great.
- MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
- External uFL GSM Antenna - this slim one works great.
- (or, if you want to us an SMA antenna - a uFL to SMA adapter cable.)
- External uFL Passive GPS Antenna - like this one!
There's also some recommended accessories. They are not required but chances are you'll want them!
- TRRS 4-Pole Headset - Any 'iPhone' or 'Android' compatible (but not iPhone original) should work. We tried about 10 different ones, and basically the more expensive once are more comfortable and louder but our official iPhone headset mic did not work.
- Vibrating motor - the FONA can drive this directly, just solder a mini vibrating motor disc in!
- USB console cable - the microUSB connector is for charging only, but you can wire up a console cable for direct-connection to the module if you want to send commands from a terminal (great for testing and tweaking)
- 44mm x 43mm x 8mm / 1.7" x 1.7" x 0.3"
- Weight: 12.3g
- As of Dec 11, 2015 we are shipping with the version 2 SIM808 module which has a slightly different GPS command naming system (AT+CGNS rather then AT+CGPS), and a newer GPS chipset (MT3337 not MT3336)
- SIM800 Command Manual - All the basic commands that the module supports (please note some are not supported by the FONA 808, such as FM radio, external audio, or bluetooth)
- SIM808 Hardware design
- SIM808 Specifications
- SIM808 GSM Location App Note
- SIM808 v1 GPS AT commands
- SIM808 v2 GPS AT commands
- SIM800 TCP/IP App Note (specifics on TCP/IP GPRS)
- SIM800 FM Radio details
- SIM800 IP (FTP & HTTP) support specifics
- SIM800 E-mail support specifics
- SIM800 MMS (multimedia message) support specifics
- SIM800 GNSS App Note
- SIM800 Sleep App Note
- SIM800 Embedded AT App Note
- SIM800 Compiling Environments
- SIM800 Bluetooth App Note
- SIM800 FS App Note
- SIM800 Multiplexer App Note
- SIM800 NTP App Note
- SIM800 PCM App Note
- SIM800 Software Upgrade App Note
- SIM800 SSL App Note
- SIM800 STK App Note
- SIM808 CE Certificate
- Supplier's Declaration of Conformity
- FCC TCB BT
- R&TTE Statement of Opinion
- FCC Part 15B Test Report
- FCC Part 15C Test Report
- FCC RF Test Report
- FCC TCB
- EMC Test Report
- GPS Test Report
- RFG Test Report
- SAF Test Report
- SAR Test Report